Saturday, May 9, 2009

GMAT Debrief

I took the GMAT on February 14 and here's a debrief:
Went to the test center 1 day early to scope out the location. Didn't want to get lost on my way there the actual day.
Test day: Had with me a Starbucks iced tea, power bar and a few tangerines for a snack. The test center lobby was full of people taking all sorts of tests. I think there was only 1 or 2 GMAT takers. I took a number, sat down, waited to be called. When they called my number, I gave them identification information. They took my picture and showed me the lockers where I could lock my stuff. I put my snacks into the locker, sat back down and waited for my name to be called. A lady called my name, I walked up to them, peered behind her and saw testing room for the first time. Some other lady took my finger print, offered me some earplugs (which I took), and ushered me to my computer. She logged me in to my computer and the test started.
Everything was pretty much like GMAC's test preparation software. I started with the essays and did everything I was taught to do. Make an outline, have words like first, second and third to offer the essay structure. If I were to take the GMAT again, I would actually practice writing essays though, even though schools don't really look at the essay portion of GMAT. I felt rushed during the second essay (because I had no opinion on the topic) and was scrambling towards the end of the alloted time.
I opted for a break at this time and I REALLY wished that I had practiced my breaks during preparation for the exam. I know this sounds really stupid. After the second essay, I really wanted to unwind and relax. I went to the bathroom, enjoyed my snack, enjoyed my iced tea. I DID NOT think it would take me more than 7 minutes to eat a power bar and use the lady's room. Even though I'm an engineer, the quant section has challenged me. 2 weeks before my actual GMAT, I had been doing amazing on the GMATclub practice reviews. Before then, I was doing, meh. So I really needed all the time I could get on the quant section. When I got to my computer, I was horrified to find out that 2 or 3 minutes from my quant section was gone because I had taken too long during break. I ended up finishing the quant section but I was scrambling at the end.
I learnt my lesson after first break. I decided that break was not meant for relaxation. It was meant to take care of business. So I went to lady's room, had some more iced tea and went back to the computer. The verbal portion of the exam, as expected, was so much easier than quantitative and I finished with time left.
I ended up getting a 700+ which is in line with what I was getting a week before. I might take the test again because I feel that my score was improving as I practiced during the week right before the exam. Also, I feel that if I had those extra 2 or 3 minutes, I might've done better on quantitative.

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say I’m new to blogs and seriously loved this web site. You really have great stories. Regards for revealing your web site.
    GMAT Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete